April 29, 2017

Dream CLXXII

I was staying in a massive stone apartment building.  I was in room 312.

One day, my nephew moved in next door.  He gave me an envelope full of news clippings, but before I could read them he gave me two greeting cards he wanted me to mail for him.  I told him I'd be happy to do so and went out to the post office.

Going back into my rooms, I noticed many things that were kept in storage were now all over the floors--spun glass statues, various metal works, objects carved from stone.  One I'd never seen before was a small metal idol-like figurine.  I dropped it accidentally and it rang a with a musical note.  I placed it carefully on the floor, but it still began ringing subtly.

I also noticed lots of dust, so much so I was worried about my lungs.  I shut the doors to all the rooms except the main two  that I used primarily.  I could still hear the vibrating metal sound from the idol.  I told myself these two rooms were all I needed anyway.

I went out of the apartment, through the corridors to the outside.  There was a festival going on; lots of people and activity.  Some men dressed in fine clothes were tossing a giant foam yellow sphere back and forth among themselves.  "Gentlemen, prepare to HURL the SUN!" I said.  They smiled at me and laughed.

In the crowd, I met a girl I'd known before  She had just moved into the building as well.  I showed her around the neighborhood, and pointed out that there were many merchants and small stores in the corridors of the building.  She decided she'd wear just a yellow bikini, but almost immediately I could tell she was cold.  (The corridors were stone and didn't heat evenly.)  I let her wear my coat.

I soon figured out that all of this was just a dream.  I told the girl I could prove it--I kissed her, and said when we were both awake, I'd remind her of the kiss, and she'd remember the dream.

I had a difficult time finding my room, so we wandered a bit more.  We came across a giant archive-store of films, videotapes and vinyl records.  Leafing through their catalog, it seemed every description referenced Dr Who in some way--including a set of instructions for using a riding lawnmower.  I pointed this out to the girl, and I bet her that I could open the catalog randomly and land on a Dr Who mention.  Of course I couldn't.

She was getting tired, so I found a resting lounge in the store and gave her some tea.  She was soon asleep.  A man came around to me and told me I should have a rest as well.  He gave me some tea.  I asked what kind of tea it was, and he said "Sleepy Time Tea."

Since I was in a dream, I wondered what would happen if I drank it.  I thought it might wake me up.

1 Comments:

At 2:44 AM, Blogger Brandi said...

Dreams float and most times have no rhyme and reason to the human eye. I believe that there are messages in dreams. The most significant factor of dreams is how do we interpret what we dream. The envelope of news clippings, the two greeting cards...what do they mean? From dream back to reality would she remember the kiss they shared?

Brandi Bradley @ Rotax Metals

 

Post a Comment

<< Home