January 31, 2005

Dream VII

Two of my cats, Leela and Striker, were fighting. At that moment, the front door opened, and a large owl flew inside. He immediately flew to the ceiling light, which was a suspended dish, and decided to rest there.

Efforts to get him out of the lighting fixture, and then outside, were futile. The cats became interested in this new visitor, but not to the extent of ceasing hostilities. Their fighting became less prolonged and more a series of brief skirmishes.

Finally, I found a long stick to poke the owl with. Before I could do so, however, it feebly moved around a bit, then used its long beak to slowly push itself out of the ceiling light, and over the rim of the dish. It fell to the floor with a solid thump, and appeared to be dead--in fact, it appeared to have been dead for some time.

As I opened the door to sweep it outside, over the second floor railing, it came to life and flew slowly just above the floor. It made for the open door and disappeared into the forest.

Before I closed the door, I noted that there seemed to be some huge (five foot) slug attached to the inner surface. (Unknown why I didn't spot it before.) It was a dark, reddish brown, aside from some white feeler-like protrusions near the underside of the "head." I wasn't certain what to do with it, but my wife pointed out that it wasn't an actual, live slug, it was a large stuffed fish toy, like a teddy bear.

Later, it was time for me to get ready to go to work. I could not find any shaving cream, however. Someone I knew who happened to be in the house had some, so I went into his bathroom to see what I could find. There was can of shaving cream, which I tried experimentally, but it instead created a fire at the top (like a large cigarette lighter) that was burning incense.

I resolved to use soap instead of shaving cream, but a little while later the friend appeared with another can and said I could use it. However, there was little in it other than compressed air, so I shaved using soap instead. I used a large copper bowl filled with water for this, using the water surface as a mirror.

One of my children came up to me during the process and said that "food from October needs to be restored." Even though I knew he meant a computer file by that name, to be restored from tape, it still struck me as humorous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home